Monday, February 13, 2006

Midnight Stroll and a Satisfied Soul

Inside the Mind:

On Thursday nights, I usually don’t get to the Lisle train station until very late because of my IV Bible study. When I finally do arrive, it is usually dead quiet and very dark because of the lack of street lights. (You don’t realize how loud and distraction-filled life really is until you take the time to be somewhere that’s dead quiet.) I usually walk the long way to my car and spend the time praying and meditating. During my walk last Thursday, I remember just being hit with a sense of overwhelming satisfaction in Christ. It was a tough week, but at that point in time I realized the grace of God that pulled me through the week, the blessings in my life, and a satisfying knowledge that He will pull through for me in the future. I felt that all is well and all will be well. No worries.

As I read Psalm 63 (posted below) today, I remembered that walk and wondered why I couldn’t feel that way all the time. Why is it that when I get back to the grind of school, work, and life in general, all the worries come crashing back down on me? No matter what God seems to do in my life, I just keep on worrying.

I noticed in verse 8, David mentions the word ‘cling’. The word used in the Hebrew means to stick to, stay close, and follow closely. This is most likely my problem. I may hang on every now and then when I’m in trouble or the time is right, but on any typical hour of the day, I am thinking about the fun I’ll have later that day or on the weekend, the food I’ll be eating, or just plain ol’ daydreaming. I’m not really ‘clinging’ to God. I’m not meditating on His word enough throughout the day, I do not rejoice in his protection, and I do not praise Him nearly enough. How can I find satisfaction in His name if I am too busy trying to find satisfaction in this world?

Psalm 63:
1 O God, You are my God; I shall seek You earnestly; My soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You, In a dry and weary land where there is no water. 2 Thus I have seen You in the sanctuary, To see Your power and Your glory.

3 Because Your lovingkindness is better than life, My lips will praise You. 4 So I will bless You as long as I live; I will lift up my hands in Your name. 5 My soul is satisfied as with marrow and fatness, And my mouth offers praises with joyful lips. 6 When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches,

7 For You have been my help, And in the shadow of Your wings I sing for joy. 8 My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me. 9 But those who seek my life to destroy it, Will go into the depths of the earth. 10 They will be delivered over to the power of the sword; They will be a prey for foxes. 11 But the king will rejoice in God; Everyone who swears by Him will glory, For the mouths of those who speak lies will be stopped.

5 Comments:

At Mon Feb 13, 09:50:00 PM, Blogger Halfmom said...

Oh my friend, I think that God has blessed you in understanding quite a lot for one so young and with so little "worldly" experience. Your comments are not only always welcomed but always valued.

 
At Wed Feb 15, 10:23:00 AM, Blogger Halfmom said...

the burning basketballs are links to a Sprite sight - I don't know if my computer is infected and it's coming from me or if Xanga is infected - I can't figure it out but I didn't do it on purpose.

 
At Sat Feb 18, 10:12:00 PM, Blogger Halfmom said...

you are so funny - o seems to think she could come up with a lot more weird things about me than I can - for that matter, you all probably can!

 
At Sun Feb 26, 12:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When the music fades, and all is swept away, and I simply come. Longing just to bring something that's of worth, that will bless Your heart...(Matt Redmond)

How can you find satisfaction in His name if you are too busy trying to find satisfaction in this world? Do you even have to go that far? One needs not do anything to seperate ones self from God. They just cease to seek.

You have identified a problem. Now confess the situation and express a desire to draw closer..."As the deer pants for the water so my soul longs after You. You alone are my heart's desire, and I long to worship You..."(Bread and Juice)


You request an opportunity to draw closer? That is an offer He will not deny. Make the request and let it go...see what happens. What do you worry about? You have permission to fail. In 80 years, most likely, you will be dead. If your perspective is eternity, and your heart is toward God thru Jesus Christ our Lord, and you screw up your entire life...you live with it for 80 years and you are thru, the rest is a cake walk. What is there to worry about?
Easier said than done. I worry about being a Godly dad and Godly husband. I would like to think I would die for my family, but you know what? Living for my family is harder. You know what else I worry about? I think that most people have hearts that die long before their bodys do. I want to live, really live, and I'm afraid that too many people I hang with are dead to a real life here. I dont wanns be dead in this world. Dont wanna be tied to the masters of this world, like Water Bill and Visa and Mortgage and Car Payment I want to be a Shadrach, or a Meashach, or Abednego..."Oh great king, throw us in the furnace. Whether we live or burn the Lord is the Lord and we honor Him!" Those guys needed there quiet time to get to that place. I need mine to get to that place. You, no doubt, need yours to. I pray that you get more of those times...even in the heat of the day! I will join with you in that endeavor! Why? Not to become a better Christian, but to bring attention to Him who molded us from the clay. He loves to be noticed. He wants to be seen and known by all!

Frodo

 
At Sat Mar 04, 07:46:00 PM, Blogger Halfmom said...

Time to update!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home