Friday, October 07, 2005

Inside the Mind of Me

Inside the Mind:

I just finished reading a biography on the life of George Muller, and was simply amazed at the way God was able to use this man of faith for His purposes. Throughout his life, he was put in circumstance after circumstance that tested his reliance on God to the limit. It was almost like a puzzle slowly being put together. God used each and every trial to build his character and reliance on God and prepare him for his orphanage and missionary work. Once Muller was ripe for the picking and the puzzle complete, God was able to do some amazing things.

The reason I mentioned this story, was to bring up the process in which Muller trusted God. He gave up all his worldly possessions along with his reliance on outside help, and trusted in God completely to provide all his needs. Throughout his life, God did not let him down even once. As I think about all these things, I start to notice how dependent I am on man for everything. I find myself looking to man for help instead of God. Could it be that God is just waiting eagerly to bless us beyond imagination, but we are so satisfied with what the world can do for us that we totally miss out on those blessings? Are we so blind that we are settling for this inferior worldly provision, when God is just waiting to pour out his blessings on us if we only ask Him? What does it take to shift your reliance from the world to God? At what point do you give up your earthly possessions as Muller did (If every Christian gave up all their possessions, there would be no one to contribute to missionary and other Christian work)? These are some of the things that have kept my mind spinning over the past week.

Prayer Requests:

So far, I have been able to park on the street at the Lisle Metra Station, but come winter, I will not be able to park on the street after more then 2 inches of snow. This of course means that I will need a spot in one of the commuter parking lots before the winter quarter starts in January. You can pray that God would provide (And that I would trust God to provide).

Verse of the Week:

"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. - Matthew 6:28-34


Shout Out:

Gotta give a shout out to my Chicago White Sox! Go Sox!!!
World Series Magic Number: 9

2 Comments:

At Fri Oct 07, 12:35:00 AM, Blogger Halfmom said...

Man, I hope this spam doesn't spread to xanga - it sucks. So, on to more relevant topics - I for one, have an incredible admiration for someone like Mueller who had such incredible faith. I think that is probably my weakest area. I see the down times as God NOT coming through - not as a chance for me to trust more. However, unlike Eve, I'm not sure - at least at this point in time in my life - that my ideas are better than God's. I was reminded tonight that God delights in blessing His children when they are obedient and rely on Him - so this is becoming a common theme - guess I'd better listen. Really nice post!!

 
At Thu Oct 13, 10:26:00 PM, Blogger paroikeo said...

Excellent post, anon! I believe, as you said, it cooms down to a matter of the heart. God has given each person a certain passion of their own in a certain area. I think each one of us knows what that passion is, or else would know what that passion is, if we only stopped spending so much time on earthly things. Some he might give the passion for giving, others the passion for service, and still others the passion for leading. Only when these passions are combined can we see the true body of Christ at work. Many times, He does ask us to go out on that limb with our passion. When that time does happen, will we be ready to accept the challenge?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home